Saturday 25 August 2012

Tandoori Chicken




Here comes one more delicacy learnt from my Mother-in-law and our all time favorite dish too -    Tandoori  Chicken . I had my own doubts when my Mother-in-law told me she would make Tandoori Chicken at home. But to my surprise it was the tastiest Tandoori chicken I’ve had in all these years. She learnt this recipe from one of her close Muslim friend when they were in Hyderabad.
My Recipe is not authentic Tandoori  Chicken cooked in the Tandoor but an quiet easy way to prepare at home. I’ve slightly changed my MIL’s recipe and added little spice to the recipe. Since we all love to eat spicy food at home.
At market varieties of the Barbeque grills are available with affordable prices. You can pick one of them for my recipe.
Don’t worry I’ve an alternate idea if you don’t want to buy Barbeque grill to still have yummy Chicken fry.


Tandoori Chicken

Ingredients:
Chicken – ½ kg
Curd (Yogurt) – ¼ cup
Chili Powder – 2 tsps
Chicken Tandoor Masala – 3 tsps (I used MDH Chicken Tandoor Masala)
Or you can prepare this Masala powder at home by blending - 1 nutmeg, 1 1/2 tsp green cardamom pods, 4 " cinnamon sticks, 1 Tbsp whole cloves, 1 tsp peppercorns, 1 bay leaf & 1 tsp cumin seeds (all ground together)
Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 tsps
Tandoor color – ½ tsp (
Salt to taste
Butter – 100 gms

Method:

With Tandoor Grill/Barbeque Grill :
Mix curd with chili Powder, Chicken Tandoor Masala, Ginger-Garlic Paste, Tandoor color and salt to taste. Add the chicken pieces to this marinade and make sure the marinade covers the chicken completely.  Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 5-6 hours in refrigerator.
Heat the Tandoor Grill and place the marinated chicken pieces on the grill on a medium flame. Brush the chicken pieces with butter. Allow the chicken to cook for 14-15 mins and turn the chicken pieces to cook the other side. Apply butter as required. It takes about 25-30 mins to grill the chicken on both the sides.
You could just smell the wonderful chicken cooked in the tandoor to perfect to be served with cut onions and lime. 

With Nonstick pan :
Take a nonstick pan, add 1 tsp oil and heat it. Add the marinated chicken pieces to the pan. Close the pan with a lid and allow chicken to cook on a medium flame for 5-6 mins. Turn the chicken pieces and apply 1 tsp oil on the chicken. Allow the chicken to cook on both the sides. It takes about 20-25 mins to cook the chicken on both the sides. I like little crisp chicken so I allow the chicken for extra 2-3 mins to get the crispness on both the sides in the pan.  
Serve hot Chicken fry with some mint chutney and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment